July 2021 saw a spike in violent outbreaks of lootings and disruption of strategic supply lines for vital commodities.
337 people lost their lives. 161 Malls were destroyed, as were 11 warehouses, 8 factories, and 161 liquor outlets. 1400 ATMs were damaged and over 150 000 jobs were put at risk.
The estimated cost to GDP is 50 billion rands.
Evidence suggests a planned insurrection by those who demand the release of the former State President Jacob Zuma. He was recently arrested for contempt of court and refusing to give account for large-scale corruption under his presidency.
President Cyril Ramaphosa described these events as “an insurrection” and “economic sabotage”, and vowed that
those responsible will be brought to book.
TEASA, a SACLi partner recently held a State of Our nation webinar to explore the underlying issues.
- Pray for those with dark motives to be exposed, tried, and held to account.
- Pray for the Judiciary to hold steady and not be intimidated.
- Pray for President Cyril Ramaphosa to act with courage and wisdom in very difficult times within a party where the balance of forces appears at a knife’s edge.
- Pray for a heightened citizen’s awareness and responsibility to resist lawlessness and defend jobs.
- For churches to find their voice and ministry as Peacemakers.