Written by Andre Viljoen
“What time is it? And what season are we in?” Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng asked South African Christians at the start of an online prayer meeting for the nation that he led on Sunday.
Unless we are like the Sons of Issachar and truly know the times and the seasons we risk praying against God’s purposes, he said during a Zoom prayer gathering on the final day of a seven-day period of repentance for the sins of the nation called by the Hope, Healing, Restoration Project of the Lord, which he leads.
The 7-days of repentance prayer followed 40 days of intense spiritual warfare for the nation convened by the campaign and Mogoeng’s Sunday message, which was also streamed on Facebook Live, marked his first public address since he announced in early May that he was going on long leave.
Answering his own question about the time and season, Mogoeng said that according to trustworthy prophetic voices we are currently in a time of judgment, a time of repentance and a time of birthing the destiny of South Africa — and Africa.
In order to pray as God wants us to pray to release “the biggest move of God in the history of the earth”, beginning in South Africa — “the revival we have been praying for” — we need to understand these three components of the current spiritual season, he said.
“We dare not allow this moment to slip through our fingers.”
“Let me begin with judgment,” he said, as he began to expand on each aspect of the current season.
He said that for too long the Church has been lukewarm, politically correct and sought the approval of politicians, celebrities and the media resulting in it perverting the Word of God and condoning immorality..
“And that is why judgment has been unleashed upon us as the children of God and the people of God,” he said.
Had the people of God, called by His name, stood in the gap, Coronavirus, poverty, corruption and other evils would have disappeared a long time ago because God is an almighty, covenant-keeping God, he said.
He said greed, corruption and serving mammon are widespread in areas of the Church itself. We don’t unite to fight criminality. We are lazy about prayer. We deliver motivational speeches and love positions, publicity and power. We pursue personal and sectional agendas “and even the agenda of the devil”,
“That’s where we have been and that is why there is judgment, and that is why the next point is critical — and that is repentance.”
He said that whenever we talk about repentance, we quite correctly refer to 2 Chronicles 7:13-14.
13 When I shut up heaven and there is no rain, or command the locusts to devour the land, or send pestilence among My people, 14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.
But he said, the children of God mostly make the mistake of praying for the sins of other people.
“That is not what the Scripture says; I must begin with myself,” said Mogoeng.
He said: “It begins with my own heart. I must ask the Lord to search my heart, to purify my heart with fire so that I can then be in a position to pray for others.”
“We must acknowledge our wickedness and from the depth of our hearts repent — and then only will the Lord hear,” he said.
Mogoeng also said the Body of Christ needs to repent for its lack of unity. Unbelievers and witches are more united than the Church which allows “anybody and anything to divide us”, he said.
“People can shut our mouths any time. Restaurants can be open but not churches because they know there will not be any consequences. We have allowed ourselves to be impotent,” he said.
Moving to “the time of the birthing of SA” Mogoeng said he was struck by two recent prophetic words published in Gateway News — by Veronika West and by Naomi Sheneberger — which “reiterated what we know, that- the time for the Kingdom of God is here, the Government of God is here. The time that Kim Clement prophesied about in May 2008 has come.
“But the devil — the spirit of Leviathan — as warned in Revelation 12, has risen up, and the dragon wants to steal and kill and destroy the destiny of South Africa and of Africa by extension — and the nations of the earth. Because, as you well know, the greatest move ever in the history of the earth, is destined by the Almighty God to begin in South Africa.
“That revival we have been praying for, we have seen in part, needs to break out completely. It just needs you and I; it needs our hearts saints. We dare not allow this moment to slip through our fingers.”
He said that happily Jesus left believers a pattern for dealing with Satan. As recorded in Matthew 4 and Luke 4, when the devil tried to tempt Jesus, the Lord kept saying: “It is written..”
He said Satan cannot stand the written or spoken Word of God.
“We have got to believe it ourselves first because four times in the Bible we learn that ‘the just shall live by faith and faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.”
Unfortunately, as believers, we listen more to the devil than to the Word of God, by listening to fake news and evil narratives that provoke unbelief and fear.
He said that we need to appropriate the power in the Word of God (Revelation 12:11 — They overcame him [the devil] by the blood of the Lamb and by the Word of their testimony) and to start praying with the boldness that releases God to wage war on our behalf.
Mogoeng concluded his message by inviting his audience to pray through a list of prayer points in line with the current spiritual season and with the prophetic words he mentioned. He said they should keep on praying that way until there is a breakthrough.
“The Lord is waiting for us to pray this way so that the destiny of South Africa we have been fasting and praying for happens.”
The prayer points are:
- My own repentance and the repentance of the Church of God — 2 Corinthians 7:14, and “It is written” — Luke 4, Matthew 4
- Declare that Jesus came that we might have life and have it abundantly — John 10:10
- Declare there will be no more stench of death — not by Coronavirus and other diseases and disasters.
- Declare the light and the glory of the Lord is rising upon SA and Africa and that darkness shall flee — Isaiah 60:1-3
- Say that our God has not given us a Spirit of fear but of love, power and a sound mind — 2 Timothy 1:7 — so we command you to flee Satan in the name of Jesus — James 4:7
- Based on Rev 12:11, say: Satan, you spirit of Leviathan, we overcome you by the blood of the Lamb and the word of our testimony and in Jesus name we resist you and command you to flee
- Declare that South Africa fears God and His glory from the rising of the sun — Isaiah 59:19
- Declare that the waves of the death and destruction of the spirit of Leviathan will not flood the land and the Spirit of the Lord is raising up the standard against the demonic flood of the enemy, against witchcraft, occultism, against all forms of idolatry, deception, immorality, perversion, criminality, corruption, injustice, iniquity, and unrighteousness — Isaiah 59:19; 2 Samuel :22, 5, 17, 20
- Say the battle belongs to God — 1 Sam 17:27 — and ask the Lord to judge all forms of wickedness and all the wicked who are unrepentant
- Declare victory is assured — 1 Corinthians 15: 57
- Declare that the new nation of South Africa is being birthed in a day — Isaiah 66:8
- Say: It is finished in Jesus name — John 19:30